The Next Generation of Wind Turbines: Hydro-Electronic Transmission
Wednesday June 20th, 8:00-9:00am San Francisco / 11:00am-12:00pm New York / 5:00-6:00pm Paris and Frankfurt
Calventis SA has developed a new power drive system for wind turbines that aims to significantly improve the wind turbines performance for the production of electricity. This state-of-the-art hydro-electronic power drive eliminates the need for the widely used mechanical gearbox which:
- enables the use of a gearless hydraulic motor and reduces the current industry benchmark of a 40% failure rate of gearboxes.
- reduces operating and maintenance costs by 20%
- increases the overall performance of the turbines by approximately 30%
- makes the system suitable for both on-grid and stand-alone energy production as well as for vertical and horizontal axis systems
Calventis’ hydro-electronic drive enables manufacturers to build a wind turbine with variable rotation speed and a synchronous generator with a selectable constant rotation speed. This concept allows the connection of the generator directly to the grid without a power inverter. This will turn a conventional wind turbine into a true power plant, stabilizing voltage, frequency and the overall grid and allow direct grid connection for decentralized energy production.
- Calventis SA, Andreas Schweitzer, CEO